Davos 2023: World Economic Forum
The World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting is set to begin in Davos on Monday, January 16, bringing together world leaders to discuss pressing issues such as the Russia-Ukraine war, global inflation, and climate change. The theme for this year’s meeting is ‘Cooperation in a Fragmented World’ and will conclude on January 20.
What are the main focus of the discussions at WEF meeting?
- Discussions are due to focus on short-term challenges like how to avoid the risk of a global recession in 2023 and how to ensure a failing global effort to tackle climate change is not set back even further by the energy crunch exacerbated by the Ukraine war and sanctions on Russia.
- While Ukraine dominated the sessions at the World Economic Forum’s annual summit last time around, this time, too, there is expected to be a lot of discussion on whether geopolitics has trumped geoeconomics, if deglobalisation can pave the way for re-globalisation and the future of the global world order.
- Add to these, issues such as the climate crisis, a possible recession, the future of work, preparing for the next pandemic, and it looks like the world has problems aplenty.
Who will be attending the WEF meeting?
- The WEF meeting is another major platform for global leaders to address the multiple crises that have deepened divisions and fragmented the geopolitical landscape. The 53rd annual meeting will be joined by more than 2,700 leaders from 130 countries, including 52 heads of state/government.
- In addition to world leaders, several leaders, entrepreneurs, and young businessmen from India will also join the meeting. Union ministers Ashwini Vaishnaw, Mansukh Mandaviya, Smriti Irani, and R K Singh will be in attendance, as well as state chief ministers Eknath Shinde, B S Bommai, and Yogi Adityanath.
- Indian businessmen and entrepreneurs joining the congregation include Byju Ravindran, Natarajan Chandrasekaran, Rajesh Gopinath, CP Gurnani, Rishad Premji, Vijay Shekhar Sharma, Adar Poonawalla, and Dinesh Kumar Khara.
Month: Current Affairs - January, 2023
Category: International / World Current Affairs
Topics: global leaders • Polycrisis • Russia-Ukraine war • WEF Meeting
Current Affairs MCQs PDF - February, 2023
Current Affairs Articles Compilation [PDF] - February, 2023
Current Affairs [PDF] - February 16-28, 2023
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|