CoVarScan rapid COVID-19 test
Researchers have developed a rapid Covid-19 test, called “CoVarScan rapid Covid-19 test”. This test will help in identifying different variants of SARS-CoV-2 in some hours.
CoVarScan rapid Covid-19 test
- The CoVarScan test detects the signatures of eight hotspots on SARS-CoV-2 virus.
- It was tested on over 4,000 patients’ samples.
- This test is as accurate as other methods, available for diagnosing Covid.
- It can successfully differentiate between all the variants of SARS-CoV-2.
- This test can be used to determine what variants are in community and if any new variant is emerging, quickly.
Sensitivity of CoVarScan
The CoVarScan Test has sensitivity of 96% and specificity of 99%, as compared to whole-genome sequencing.
Which variants can be identified?
The CoVarScan test can identify and differentiate Delta, Lambda, Mu, and Omicron variants of Covid-19. It can also detect BA.2 version of Omicron. The BA.2 version was once known as “stealth Omicron” as it did not show up on some tests designed for detecting Omicron strain.
How is this test different from existing tests?
Other tests for Covid-19 generally either detect a fragment of SARS-CoV-2 genetic material or small molecules which are found on virus’ surface. They don’t provide information on identify of the variant. They aren’t accurate in detecting some coronavirus variants or they could miss future strains.
How were variants identified earlier?
Earlier, scientists used “whole-genome sequencing” method, for determining the variant of Covid-19. This is time-consuming, expensive and rely on sophisticated equipment.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|