CERVAVAC: Cervical Cancer Vaccine
The cervix is the lowermost part of the uterus. Tumour in the cervix is generally referred to as cervical cancer. A vaccine to cure cervical cancer was recently launched by the Serum Institute of India. The name of the vaccine is CERVAVAC. This is the first time India is producing a vaccine for cervical cancer. The vaccine was launched during National Girl Child Day. India celebrates National Girl Child Day on January 24.
- Department of Biotechnology assisted SII in developing the vaccine. First, the vaccine is to be provided to girls between the age of nine to fourteen years.
- The price of the Vaccine is between Rs 200 and Rs 400 per dose
So Far: HPV Vaccine
India used the HPV vaccine so far to cure cervical vaccines. It was imported and the vaccine is very expensive. One dose of the HPV vaccine costs Rs 3,500 to Rs 4,000. With the low-cost indigenously developed CERVAVAC, India can reduce the intensity of the disease to a great extent.
Need for the Vaccine
- Almost, one–fourth of cancer deaths occur due to cervical cancer. Cancer among women commonly occurs in the lungs, rectum, breast, and cervix. Of all cancer in women, breast cancer is the most common followed by lung cancer in the second position. Colorectal cancer is the third most popular cancer in the world. And cervical cancer is the fourth most common.
- More than 1.25 lakh women suffer from cervical cancer all over the world
- More than 75,000 Indian women die due to the disease
WHO on Cervical Cancer in India
According to the International Classification of Diseases WHO, more than 65,978 Indian women suffered from cervical cancer in 2015. The number increased to 75,209 in 2017. In 2025, it is expected to touch 85,241
Month: Current Affairs - January, 2023
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
Topics: Breast cancer • CERVAVAC • Cervical cancer • Cervical cancer in India • Department of Biotechnology (DBT) • HPV vaccine • Human Vaccines • indigenous vaccine • International Classification of Diseases • Lung cancer • National Girl Child Day • Self reliance • self reliant india • Serum Institute of India (SII) • Vaccines • World Health Organisation (WHO)
Current Affairs MCQs PDF - February, 2023
Current Affairs Articles Compilation [PDF] - February, 2023
Current Affairs [PDF] - February 16-28, 2023
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|