Centre notifies new Electricity Rules
Union Ministry of Power has notified new Electricity rules called “Electricity (Rights of consumers) Rules” in India, laying down the rights of power of consumers.
- These rules will empower the consumers of electricity. Rules originate from the conviction that power systems exist to serve consumers and consumers have rights to get reliable services & quality electricity.
- These rules were notified considering the fact that, distribution companies across India are monopolies and consumer has no alternative.
- Rules will also further the ease of doing business in India as its implementation would ensure that new electricity connections, refunds and other services are provided to consumers in a time bound manner.
Key areas covered under Electricity (Rights of consumers) Rules:
- Rights of consumers and Obligations of Distribution licensees
- Consumer as Prosumer
- Release of new connection and modification of existing connection
- Metering arrangement
- Reliability of supply
- Billing and Payment
- Disconnection and Reconnection
- Standards of Performance of licensee
- Compensation Mechanism
- Grievance redressal mechanism
- Call Centre for Consumer Services
Key Provisions of the rules
- It will be the duty of every distribution licensee to supply electricity on request of owner or occupier.
- Release of new connection and modification in existing connection will be done in transparent and time bound processes. Process will be completed within 7 days in metro cities,15 days in municipal areas while 30 days in rural areas.
- No connection will be given without a meter.
- Compensation amount will be paid to consumers, automatically, by the distribution licensees in case of violation of performance
- Consumer Grievance Redressal Forum (CGRF) will include representatives from consumer and prosumer. Grievances will be resolved within 45 days.
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs - 2022
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|