Cabinet approves Deep Ocean Mission
Union Cabinet has approved ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ proposed by Ministry of Earth Sciences to conduct study on biodiversity, impact of climate change and to establish an offshore marine station in order to explore source of thermal energy.
- Mission will explore Deep Ocean for resources and help in development of deep-sea technologies for sustainable use of ocean resources.
- Mission will be completed in an estimated budget of Rs 4,077 crores in five-year period.
- It will be implemented in phases. First phase will be implemented during 2021-2024.
- Estimated cost for first phase for three years is Rs 2,823.4 crore.
- Ministry of Earth Sciences will be the nodal ministry to implement this mission.
Which countries conduct such mission?
Such technology and expertise is currently available with five countries Russia, US, France, Japan and China. India will be sixth country to have it now.
Deep Ocean Mission
It is an Indian initiative to undertake deep ocean exploration. It focuses on India’s exclusive economic zones and continental shelf. Mission comprise of various manned and unmanned submersibles to explore sea bed. Main aim of this mission is to explore & extract polymetallic nodules which are composed of minerals such as nickel, manganese, copper, cobalt and iron hydroxide. These metals are useful in manufacturing electronic devices, smartphones, solar panels and batteries.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2021
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|