2022 SCO Summit
The 2022 Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Summit will be organized in Uzbekistan from September 15 to 16, 2022.
- The 2022 SCO Summit would be held in Samarkand – a city in Uzbekistan on the ancient trade route of Silk Road that connects China with the Mediterranean.
- The SCO summit in Uzbekistan would focus on reviewing the grouping’s activities over the past two decades and identifying areas having potential for multilateral cooperation.
- The discussions would also focus on the geopolitical crisis caused by the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the situation in the Taliban-ruled Afghanistan.
- This is the first in-person summit since 2019 SCO summit held in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- This summit would witness the first in-person meeting between Prime Minister Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping after their meeting at Brasilia on the side-lines of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) in 2019.
- The 22nd Meeting of the Council of Heads of the State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) would witness the attendance of leaders of SCO member states, observer states, Secretary General of the SCO, Executive Director of the SCO Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS), President of Turkmenistan and others.
- During the summit, Iran is expected to be formally admitted into the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
- After the Samarkand summit, India would take up the SCO presidency.
- India will hold the presidency of SCO until September 2023. It would host the SCO summit next year.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization
The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) is a Eurasian political, economic and security grouping founded on June 15, 2001. It is headquartered in Beijing. Its members include China, Russia, India and Pakistan as well as 4 Central Asian countries – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. It is the world’s largest regional grouping, covering about 60 per cent of the area of Eurasia, 40 per cent of the global population and more than 30 per cent of global GDP.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|