2 September : World Coconut Day
The World Coconut Day (WCD) is observed every year on September 2 to enhance coconut farming with focus on productivity and product diversification.
- The day is also celebrated to commemorate the formation day of Asian Pacific Coconut Community (APCC). In India, the day is celebrated every year under the aegis of Coconut Development Board (CDB) in various coconut growing states across the country.
- The 2022 theme is “Growing coconut for a better future and life”.
Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC)
- APCC is an inter-governmental organisation of 18 member countries mandated to promote, coordinate and harmonize coconut developmental activities of the Asian Pacific region to achieve maximum economic development.
- India is one of the founder members of APCC. India is one of the founder members of APCC and stands first in global coconut production and productivity.
- The annual coconut production of India is 2437.80 crore and the productivity is 11616 coconuts per hectare.
About Coconut Development Board
- The Coconut Development Board (CBD) is a legal body under the Ministry of Agriculture of the Government of India, responsible for the comprehensive development of coconuts and coconut-related products.
- The board was established on January 12, 1981 and operates under the administrative control of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Government of India. Its headquarters is located in in Kochi, Kerala, and the regional offices are located in Bengaluru, Chennai and Guwahati.
- This board has six state centres which are situated at Kolkata, Bhubaneswar, Thane, Patna, Hyderabad and Port Blair. It has 9 Demonstration cum Seed Production (DSP) Farms which are located in different locations across the country and as of now this board maintains 7 farms.
- In Delhi, a Market Development cum Information Centre has been established. The Board has also set up a Technology Development Centre at Vazhakulam which is located near Aluva in the state of Kerala.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|