Semicon India Conference-2022
Recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the three-day Semicon India 2022 conference, which was held in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Who organized the conference?
It was organized by India Semiconductor Mission in partnership with industry associations.
What is the theme?
The theme is catalyzing India’s Semiconductor Ecosystem.
What is the aim of the conference?
To make India a global hub for Semiconductor Design, Manufacturing, and Technology Development which will help propel the vision of the India Semiconductor Mission.
What is “India Semiconductor Mission”?
India Semiconductor Mission (ISM) is an Independent Business Division within Digital India Corporation having administrative and financial autonomy to formulate strategies for developing the semiconductor ecosystem.
What is the “Semicon India program”?
In March 2022, Union Cabinet approved the Semicon India program for the development of the semiconductor and display manufacturing ecosystem in India.
What is the total outlay?
The total fiscal outlay is INR 76,000 crore.
What are the schemes under the Semicon India program?
- Scheme for setting up of Semiconductor Fabs: Fiscal support (30% to 50% of the project cost) will be provided to eligible applicants for setting up of Semiconductor Fabs.
- Scheme for setting up of Display Fabs: Fiscal support of up to 50% of Project Costs will be provided to eligible applicants subject to a ceiling of INR 12,000 crore per Fab.
- Scheme for setting up of Compound Semiconductors / Silicon Photonics / Sensors Fab and Semiconductor Assembly, Testing, Marking, and Packaging (ATMP) facilities: Fiscal support of 30% of the Capital Expenditure will be provided to the eligible applicants.
- Design Linked Incentive (DLI) Scheme: It offers financial incentives for the development and deployment of semiconductor design for Integrated Circuits (ICs), Chipsets, System on Chips (SoCs), Systems & IP Cores, and semiconductor linked design.
What is the status of the semiconductor ecosystem in India?
India has the world’s fastest-growing start-up ecosystem. India’s consumption of semiconductors is expected to cross $110 billion by 2030.
What are the highlights of the PM’s speech?
- PM said semiconductors are playing a critical role in more ways than one can imagine.
- He mentioned the aim of establishing India as one of the key partners in global semiconductor supply chains.
- PM Modi stated six reasons why semiconductor investments should consider India.
Why India is an attractive investment destination for Semiconductor technologies?
- India is building the digital infrastructure to connect over 1.3 billion Indians.
- India is developing capabilities in 5G, IoT, AI, and other technologies.
- India is headed for robust economic growth and has the world’s fastest-growing Startup Ecosystem.
- India has undertaken various reforms for improving the ease of doing business in India.
- India is investing heavily in skilling and training youth for the needs of the 21st century.
- India has undertaken several measures to transform the Indian manufacturing sector.
What are Semiconductors?
Semiconductors are materials with electrical conductivity values falling between a conductor and an insulator.
What is the impact of the Russia-Ukraine war on the Semi-conductor supply chain?
The Russia-Ukraine war has impacted the supply of Neon and Hexafluorobutadiene gases, which are essential elements to manufacture semiconductor chips. Ukraine and Russia are major sources of Neon and Hexafluorobutadiene gases. Thus, due to war, supply is disrupted.
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs