IISc Bengaluru – G20 Science Working Group’s Secretariat
The Bengaluru-based Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has been chosen as the secretariat for Science 20 (S20) – the science working group of the G20 summit.
About the S20 2023
- The Science 20 (S20) 2023 will work towards resolving common global-level challenges like poverty.
- It will focus on three key issues:
- Universal Holistic Health
- Clean Energy for Green Future
- Connecting Science to Society and Culture
- These three issues will be discussed at the events that will be held in Agartala, Lakshadweep, and Bhopal throughout the year of 2023.
- In addition to these events, an inaugural conference will be held in Puducherry from January 30 to 31 next year and a summit meeting will be organized in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- The S20 summit, which will be held in Coimbatore, will bring together all the science ministers from the G20 countries.
- The theme of the Science 20 (S20) 2023 is ‘Disruptive Science for Innovative and Sustainable Development’.
Significance of S20 2023
The S20 will play a major role in resolving global concerns like the hunger crisis and bring together the Group of 20 countries in developmental efforts. The G20 forum has 19 countries and the European Union. Its members include both developed and underdeveloped countries. Including these countries in addressing global issues through science-backed efforts can be achieved by the S20 working group.
This working group can help ensure equitable and sustainable development by increasing the role of science in economic growth and progress. It will help share the global best practices and technological innovations.
India, with its rich intellectual history, current scientific and engineering prowess, and tradition of sustainable innovation, has the potential to become a global leader in disruptive science for development. It will help ensure meaningful international cooperation in a way that all the scientific breakthroughs and technological progress are shared between countries across the world.
The S20 2023 will focus on creating a framework that supports the development of responsible technologies, encouraging IP sharing and technological transfers, and startup mentorship programmes and funding. It will also promote global support for large-scale science projects, and framework for holistic health programme and mental health programme.