What is ICIMOD?
ICIMOD refers to International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development. It works on fragile mountain eco-systems and livelihoods of mountain people in the Hindu Kush-Himalayan region.
- ICIMOD works for fragile mountain systems of the Hindukush Himalayan Regions and the 8 countries of the Hindu Kush-Himalayan area are its members.
- These members are : Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan
- ICIMOD is based in Kathmandu and was established in 1983.
The ICIMOD has been facilitating the Mount Kailash Sacred Landscape Initiative, involving India, Nepal and China. These countries will collaborate on eco-restoration and bio-diversity management in their parts of the territory.
India has intensified its cooperation with ICIMOD and the country would be contributing 5 lakh dollars to the ICIMOD in just 3 years viz. 2009, 2010 & 2011.
Please also note the following points:
- India has given $1 million to South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation [SAARC] Forestry Centre, Thimphu
- India has recently also given $ 1 million to SAARC Coastal Zone Management Centre, Male.
Apart from this, as per a statement of the minister published in media, The National Institute of Himalayan Glaciology, Dehra Dun, is intended to be a centre for measuring, modeling and monitoring of the Himalayan glaciers and provide a platform for regional institutional linkages. There’s need for more science to understand the complex behavior of Himalayan glaciers, whose health is of deep concern.”
Topics: Current GK Questions