Trends in Horticulture Production in India -Recent years
India’s Horticultural production in 1990-91 was 96.6 million metric tons. In 2008-09, it has increased and become 214 million metric tons. The following graphic shows India’s horticultural production in recent years.
The above graphic shows that the production has increased yet, there are constraints which hinder the proper growth of Horticulture in India. These are:
- India has poor quality of seeds and planting materials and there is a weak assessment mechanism.
- The management of orchards is in obsolete and outdated way.
- The orchards are of small and uneconomic size.
- There is absence of adequate standards of quality produces.
- There is poor risk management in the country