Mohenjo-Daro was a most important Harappan city.
- The meaning of Mohenjo-Daro is “Mound of the dead” and Mohenjo-Daro is the best known Indus site.
- It is located in Sindh, Pakistan, next to the Indus River.
- Here the Great Bath, uniform buildings and weights, hidden drains and other hallmarks of the civilization were discovered in the 1920’s.
- At Mohenjo-Daro the most unicorn seals have been found.
Due to a rising water table, most of the site remains unexcavated, and its earliest levels have not been reached. The Mohenjo-Daro also has two mounds. The western mound is lower which was a citadel with 200 m X 400 m and eastern is a bigger which was having the relics of a buried city of size 400×800 meters.
- Mohenjo-Daro was the largest city of the Indus valley civilization. Both Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro can be called the capital cities of the civilization.
- Great Bath: The most famous building found at Mohenjo-Daro is a great bath. It is a 6×12 meter specimen of beautiful brick work. It has a tank with 11.88×7.01 lengths and breadths and 2.43 meters depth along with steps on the north and south sides. The water for the bath was provided from a well in an adjacent room. The floor was made up of bricks. Floor and outer walls were bituminized so that there is no leakage of water. There are open porch’s on four sides of the bath.
- Granary: A granary has been found which the largest building of the Mohenjo-Daro is. This granary is divided into 27 rooms of different size and shape.
- Assembly Hall : A square pillared hall with 90X90 ft is another important building found at Mohenjo-Daro. The scholars agree that this pillared hall was a site for social gatherings.
All houses have a courtyard , kitchen and a well. All houses at Mohenjo-Daro have proper arrangements of light air and drainage.
- Mohenjo-Daro has shown an extensive usage of bricks.
The Evidences at Mohenjo-Daro:
- A piece of woven cotton along with spindle whorls and needles has been found.
- A bronze figurine of a dancing girl has been found.
- Mohenjo-Daro has also given evidence of violence leading to death.
- A seal representing the Mother Goddess a plant growing from her womb has been found.
- A figurine of a bearded man has been found at Mohenjo-Daro
- A seal with a picture suggesting Pashupati Mahadev has been found at Mohenjo-Daro.
- A seal which shows a woman to be sacrificed by a man with a knife in hand has been found at Mohenjo-Daro.