GK & Current Affairs Quiz: September 7, 2019
Watch Video Here
1. Kiran Nagarkar (77), the acclaimed English-Marathi novelist and playwright, has passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra on 5th September 2019. He was known for his works such as ''Saat Sakkam Trechalis'' (Seven Sixes Are Forty Three) (1974), ''Ravan and Eddie'' (1994) and the epic English novel ''Cuckold'' (1997). He released his latest novel ''Jasoda'' in November 2017.
2. Srihari Nataraj from Bengaluru has won the best male swimmer award at the 73rd Glenmark National senior aquatic championships at the Prakash Tarun Pushkar pool. He created a national record in the men's 100m backstroke. Meanwhile, Shivani Kataria from Haryana was adjudged as the best woman swimmer. Karnataka won the overall championship and men’s team title. And, Maharashtra took the women’s team trophy.
3. The 4th edition of Indian Ocean Conference (ICO-2019) was held in Male from September 3-4. It was organized by India Foundation, in association with the Government of Maldives and the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (Singapore). The theme of the IOC 2019 is 'Securing the Indian Ocean Region: Traditional and Non-Traditional Challenges'.
4. In New Delhi, the national conference on ‘India-Africa Partnership in a Changing Global Order--Priorities, Prospects and Challenges’ was organized by Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA). The ICWA is devoted exclusively for the study of international relations and foreign affairs. It is also a member of the United Nations Academic Impact, The Vice President of India is the ex-officio President of ICWA, while the Minister of External Affairs is its Vice-President. It headquarters is located in National capital.
5. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has recently organized the first national conference on Cybercrime Investigation and Forensics at its headquarters in New Delhi. The aim of the 2-day conference was to create the platform and bring together investigators, lawyers, forensic experts and academia to discuss challenges related to cybercrime and ways to find solutions. The conference covers one of the mandates of CBI which is to investigate crimes with inter-state and international ramifications.
6. After IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur has been selected for the "Sophisticated Analytical and Technical Help Institute (SATHI) of the Department of Science and Technology (DST) of the Union government. The SATHI Centre will run 24x7 round the year. At least 70% of instrument time will be reserved for external users from other academic institutes, national laboratories, start-ups, entrepreneurs and the industry. The institute will treat the SATHI Centre as its Social Scientific Responsibility (SSR) programme to promote the culture of science-based entrepreneurship and start-ups in the country.
7. On 5th September, Afghanistani leg spinner Rashid Khan (20) has scripted history as he became the youngest-ever Test captain after leading his team against Bangladesh in the one-off Test. Previously, the record was held by former Zimbabwe wicketkeeper Tatenda Taibu. At the age of 19 years and 165 days, Rashid Khan had also become the youngest player to captain an international side.
8. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has become the first Indian premier to visit the Far East Russia in Vladivostok. He attended the 20th India-Russia annual summit with President Putin and announced $1 billion loan for the development of Far East region. Mr. Modi also attended 5th Eastern Economic Forum (EEF). The forum focuses on development of business and investment opportunities in the Russian Far East Region, and presents enormous potential for developing close and mutually beneficial cooperation between India and Russia in the region.
9. According to the latest report by World Gold Council (WGC), United States leads the country list with total gold reserves of 8,133.5 tonnes followed by Germany (3,366.8 tonnes), InternationalMonetary Fund (IMF) (2,451.8 tonnes),Italy (2,451.8 tonnes) and France (2,436.1 tonnes). India is at the 10th spot with 618.2 tonnes. Interestingly, in terms of individualcountries, India actually ranks 9th since the IMF occupies the third positionafter the U.S. and Germany.
10. The 6-member RBI task force, headed by Canara Bank Chairman TN Manoharan, has recommended the setting up a Self-Regulatory Body (SRB) of market participants to finalize details for the secondary market for corporate loans, including the standardization of documents. It has also called for amending regulations of SEBI, IRDA and PFRDA to enable participation of non-banking entities such as mutual funds, insurance companies, and pension funds. It has also called for setting up a Central Loan Contract Registry (CLCR), as well as an online loan sales platform to conduct auctions and sale of such loans.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|