GK & Current Affairs: August 31, 2013
1. Noble laureate Seamus Heaney, who died recently, was a famous poet of which country?
Seamus Heaney, Ireland’s foremost poet who won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1995, died after spending half a century exploring the wild beauty of Ireland and the political torment within the nation’s soul. The Northern Ireland-born Heaney was widely considered Ireland’s greatest poet since William Yeast. He wrote 13 collections of poetry, two plays, four prose works on the process of poetry, and many other works.
2. Which of the following committees was mooted the idea of setting up Bullion Bank or Bullion Corporation of India?
[A]Urjit Patel Committee
The idea of setting up Bullion Bank or Bullion Corporation of Bank was mooted by the RBI working group headed by the K U B Rao. Rao committee suggested the Bullion Bank can be set up by the RBI with 51% equity and should have Rs 1, 000 crore paid up equity, financial institutions and bank could be 49% equity holders.
3. India’s Geeta Phogat is associated with which of the following sports/events?
Geeta Phogat is a wrestler who won India’s first ever gold medal in women’s wrestling in the 55 kg freestyle category at the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
4. The ambitious “Fifth-Generation Fighter Plane (FGFP)” defence project of India is the largest joint venture with___?
The Fifth Generation Fighter Plane is India’s biggest and most ambitious defence project and the largest joint venture with Russia. Under a joint project with Russia to build a fifth-generation fighter aircraft India will modify and customize the prototype Russia has developed independently.
5. Which of the following schemes has been formulated to encourage and promote women scientists in the Science and Technology sector?
DISHA is a scholarship scheme for a Women Scientists for societal programme is an initiative of the Department of Science and Technology. This scheme is addressed to women scientists and technologists who have a break in their careers due to social responsibilities but have desire to return mainstream
science and work as bench-level scientists.
6. Recently (August, 2013), who among the followings has set a world record for highest ever individual score in a Twenty-20 International Cricket?
Australia’s Aaron Finch set a new world record for the highest individual Twenty20 international score as he made a stunning 156 against England at Southampton stadium. Finch surpassed the previous record of 123 set by New Zealand’s Brendon McCullum against Bangladesh.
7. Recently (August, 2013), Pakistan and China decided to hold Joint Air Exercise codenamed as __?
The Chinese and Pakistani forces decided to hold a joint exercise in a region bordering Pakistan occupied Kashmir. The joint drill will be held during September 2013 in China’s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region. The exercise was code named as Shaheen-2.
8. Recently (August, 2013), which one of the following historical forts completed its 400th anniversary?
The historic fort at Jhansi, popularly known as “Rani Jhansi Ki Quila” has turned 400 years old. It has been mute spectators to the turns of events in the Indian history and withstood heavy bombardment of British force during the First war of Independence. Jhansi fort was build by Bir Singh Ju Deo.
9. Senkaku and Diaoyu islands are source of dispute between which two countries?
[A]China and Vietnam
[B]China and Japan
[C]Japan and Vietnam
[D]Japan and Indonesia
China and Japan
The Senkaku Islands disputes concerns a territorial disputes over a group of uninhabited islands known as the Senkaku Islands in Japan, the Diaoyu in China.
10. Which of the following nations is/are members of the United of South American Nations (UNASUR)?
Chose the correct answer from the codes given below:
[A]Only 1, 2 & 4
[B]Only 1, 2 & 3
[C]Only 2, 3 & 4
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3 & 4
The United of South American Nations is an intergovernmental union integrating two existing customs unions Mercusor and the Andean Community of Nations as a part of continuing process of south American integration. Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela are its member countries.