Ease of Living Index 2020 – Highlights
The ministry of housing and urban affairs released its “Ease of Living Index-2020” on March 4, 2021. It also comprises of the rankings of cities having population of more than a million and a separate ranking for cities having population of less than a million.
Under the Ease of Living Index 2020 rankings were announced for cities for which the assessment exercise was conducted in the year 2020. Around 111 cities participated in the assessment exercise.
- In the list of Indian cities having population of more than a million, “Bengaluru” was emerged as the best city on “ease of living” index parameters in all the 49 million-plus cities in the year
- Bengaluru have pushed the city of Pune to second position in the index.
- Ahmedabad was ranked third among 111 cities.
- The index shows that, ease of living was lowest in Dhanbad, Bareilly, and Srinagar.
- In the list of cities with population of less than a million, Shimla has been ranked the highest. It is followed by Bhubaneswar.
- In this category, the Muzaffarpur city in Bihar was ranked at the lowest
Ease of Living Index
This index is an assessment tool which evaluates the quality of life and impact of several initiatives for development in urban areas. The index provides for a comprehensive understanding of the participating cities on the basis of quality of life, economic abilities of the city and sustainability & resilience. The assessment is done with the help of residents’ view with respect to the services provided by city administration.
Municipal Performance Index (MPI)
The centre also published the Municipal Performance Index (MPI). In this index, Indore was ranked first in the category of Million-plus cities. It is followed by Surat and Bhopal. While in the ‘less than million category’, New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has been ranked first and is followed by Tirupati and Gandhinagar.