US wins Women's FIFA World Cup for 3rd time
United States (US) won the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. It is overall third world cup title of US.
In the World Cup final match played at Vancouver, Canada US defeated Japan by 5-2 goals score. US captain and skipper Carli Lloyd scored three goals. Lauren Holiday and Tobin Heath scored one goal each.
2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup Awards
- Golden Ball Award: Carli Lloyd (US), Amandine Henry (France), Aya Miyama (Japan).
- Golden Boot Award: Celia Sasic (Germany), Carli Lloyd (US), Anja Mittag (Germany).
- Golden Glove Award: Hope Solo (US).
- Young Player Award: Kadeisha Buchanan (Canada).
- Fair Play Award: France.
About Women’s FIFA World Cup
- Established: 1991 (61 years after the men’s first FIFA World Cup held in 1930).
- Played every 4 years amongst women’s national football teams of the member states of FIFA.
- After it establishment it was known as Women’s World Cup tournament.
- Most wins: United States for 3 times (1991, 1999 and 2015), followed by Germany 2 times (2003, 2007).
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2015