Winners of 2016 Wimbledon Championships of Tennis
The 2016 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament held from 27 June to 10 July 2016. It was the 130th edition of the championships and the 49th edition in the Open Era.
The tournament had taken place at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom.
Men’s Singles Title
- Britain’s Andy Murray won the 2016 Wimbledon title in men’s singles category. It was his second Wimbledon title after he had won it for first time in 2013. In final match he defeated Canada’s Milos Raonic by 6–4, 7–6(7–3), 7–6(7–2) score.
Women’s Singles Title
- Serena Williams of United States has won 2016 Wimbledon title in women’s singles category. In the final match played she defeated Germany’s Angelique Kerber by 7–5, 6–3 score. It is Williams’ seventh Women’s Singles Wimbledon title (2002, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2015) and overall 22nd Grand Slam title.
Men’s Doubles Title
- French pair of Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut won the 2016 Wimbledon title in the men’s doubles category. In the final match they defeated French pair Julien Benneteau and Édouard Roger-Vasselin by 6–4, 7–6(7–1), 6–3 score.
- US pair of Serena Williams and Venus Williams won the 2016 Wimbledon title in the women’s doubles category. They defeated Tímea Babos (Hungary) and Yaroslava Shvedova (Kazakhstan) pair by 6–3, 6–4 score.
Mixed Doubles Title
- Henri Kontinen (Finland) and Heather Watson (United Kingdom) pair won the 2016 Wimbledon title in the mixed doubles category. They defeated Robert Farah (Colombia) and Anna-Lena Grönefeld (Germany) pair by 7–6(7–5), 6–4 score.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2016