Who has been appointed as New Chief Executive of Ayushman Bharat?
Recently, R. S. Sharma has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer of the Ayushman Bharat scheme or the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana which is an insurance scheme by the National Health Authority’s (NHA).
- The newly appointed chief executive, RS Sharma, will replace Indu Bhushan.
- He was appointed after Indu Bhushan has completed the 3-year tenure as the CEO of Ayushman Bharat.
Who is RS Sharma?
- RS Sharma has worked as the Chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
- He is also the head of the Empowered Group on Technology and Data Management to combat the Covid-19 and the Covid-19 vaccine delivery technology platform—Co-WIN.
- He also works as a member of the National Expert Group on Covid-19 Vaccine Administration.
Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY)
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana is a component under the Ayushman Bharat Scheme. This scheme by the central government offers free healthcare services to 40% of people of the country. The PMJAY scheme is in mission mode as a second component of Ayushman Bharat. The first component of the scheme is the Health and Wellness Centres (HWCs) which provide the primary health care to the people close to their homes. The scheme was launched on September 23, 2018, in Ranchi, Jharkhand by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It provides a cover of Rs 5 lakh per family per year. The scheme covers the secondary and tertiary hospitalization in all the private and public hospitals of India. It was launched with the aim of achieving the Universal Health Coverage (UHC).