What is YSR Sampoorna Poshana Yojana?
Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh YSR Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched YSR Sampoorna Poshana scheme On September 7, 2020. The scheme aims at providing food to lactating mothers and pregnant women so as to fulfil their nutritional requirements.
Significance of the Scheme
- The scheme will bring down malnutrition among the vulnerable section of state.
- It is going to benefit 30.16 lakh children and lactating mothers.
- It focuses on malnutrition and anaemia in pregnant and lactating mothers.
- It will provide supplementary nutrition in all the Anganwadi centres.
- The scheme aims to cover 77 tribal areas.
- Total expenditure on the scheme is going to be Rs 1,863 crores per annum.
- It is going to cost Rs 1,100 per beneficiary per month.
Need of the Scheme?
Andhra Pradesh accounts for 52.9% of pregnant women who are suffering from Anaemia. Low Birth Weight is also common among children owning to 31.9% while 31.4% of children are found to be stunted.
Status of Malnutrition in India
- 4 million people in India are under nourished as per a report by Food and Agriculture Organization.
- In Global Hunger Index, 2019, India ranked 102 among 117 countries.
Government Initiatives to tackle malnutrition
- Integrated Child Development Services Scheme
- National Health Mission
- Mid-Day Meal Scheme
- Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog yojana
- National Nutritional Policy
Recently, Union Minister for Women and Child Development while attending a webinar on “Nutrient Requirement for Children and Mothers during the first 1000 days” under the Poshan Maah Initiative have also said to come up with nutrition guidelines for the country. The guidelines might prescribe healthy diet for pregnant women and lactating mothers. It might include guidelines for children in the age group of six months to six years who receive ration and hot cooked meals at Anganwadi centres.