Urjit Patel assumes charge as 24th RBI Governor
Eminent economist, consultant and banker Dr. Urjit Patel has assumed charge as the 24th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
Dr. Patel succeeds Raghuram Rajan who completed his tenure after serving a three-year term. He will have tenure of three years.
Prior to this appointment (elevation) he was Deputy Governor of RBI. He is the eighth Deputy Governor to be elevated as Governor at RBI.
Earlier in August 2016, the appointment committee of cabinet (ACC) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi had approved the appointment of Dr. Patel. His appointment was based on the recommendation of the Financial Sector Regulatory Appointments Search Committee (FSRASC) headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
About Dr. Urjit Patel
- By profession Dr. Urjit Patel is an eminent economist, consultant and banker. He has two decades of rich experience across sectors including financial, energy and infrastructure sectors.
- He has worked with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) covering the US, India, Bahamas and Myanmar desks between 1990 and 1995.
- For first time, he was appointed as the Deputy Governor of RBI in January 2013 for three year term and was later reappointed on January 2016.
- He had headed committee to review the monetary policy framework and had proposed monetary policy committee to set interest rates.
- He also had worked as a consultant to the Union Ministry of Finance (Department of Economic Affairs) from 1998 to 2001.