Update : Smart India Hackathon
The Ministry of Human Resource Development is currently organizing the Grand Finale of Smart India Hackathon (SIH) -2019 (Hardware Edition) in New Delhi. The SHI is a platform where students innovators provide smart solutions to day to day problems. It is a program to encourage research & innovation in school children.
Salient Features of SIH
- Smart India Hackathon is the World s Largest Open Hackathon.
- It was started in 2017 and the participation has doubled with every passing year.
- In 2019, the magnitude has grown bigger with around two lakh students have participated.
- In this year’s SIH, more than1.2 Lac students from 2235 colleges had sent in their entries for 198 problem statements.
- These problem statements were submitted by more than 40 industries and 9 Central government ministries and various Government Departments.
- The problems are based on Agriculture & Rural Development, Food Technology, Waste Management, Clean Water, Renewable Energy, Healthcare & Biomedical devices, Smart Vehicles, Robotics and Drones, Security & Surveillance, Smart Communication, Sports and Fitness, Sustainable Environment, Smart Textile, Smart Cities areas.
- In the grand finale, around 2000 participants from 250 teams of 178 different colleges are participating.
- The winning teams will be provided cash prizes between Rs 50000-Rs. 1 lakh.
- The participation of female candidates is encouraging this year with a ratio of male and female of 1.6:1.
What is the SIH?
The SIH is a comprehensive mass movement to ideate and innovate on all fronts. The SIH 2019 is organized jointly by the MHRD, AICTE, i4c and Persistent Systems. It aims to have a unique Open Innovation Model for identifying new and disruptive technology innovations to solve the challenges faced in our country. It’s a non-stop product development competition, where problem statements are posed to technology students for innovative solutions.