Union Ministry of Science & Technology announces “KIRAN” scheme for Women Scientists
The Union Ministry of Science & Technology also announced KIRAN (Knowledge, Involvement, Research, Advancement through Nurturing) for women scientists – A unique advertising scheme to bring about, as far as possible, gender equality in the field of science and technology.
- To increase the number of women researchers in India.
- Provide Research grants particularly to those female researchers and technologists who had to take a break in career owing to household reasons.
- Bring about, as far as achievable, gender parity in the field of science and technology.
The scholarships will be provided under three categories-
- For those women linked in research work in basic or applied sciences with any central or state level organization or university
- For those women scientists involved in research and application of innovative solutions for several social problems
- For those researchers who are self-employed.
Under the scheme, the Union Ministry of Science & Technology will build leadership positions for women. Such a scheme would be beneficial for women who face unavoidable interruptions in their careers owing to numerous reasons.