Union Cabinet approves River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016
The Union Cabinet has approved the River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016.
The Order empowers National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) to take action against polluting industries. So far, Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) had powers to take actions.
Key Features of order
- Envisages creation of National Council for River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) as an Authority under Prime Minister as Chairperson.
- The new authority will be replacing the existing NGRBA (National Ganga River Basin Authority).
- Declares NMCG as an Authority with powers to issue directions and also to exercise the powers under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986
- Delegates financial and administrative powers to NMCG to accelerate the process of project implementation for Ganga rejuvenation.
- It will have overall responsibility for superintendence of pollution prevention and rejuvenation of river Ganga Basin.
- Sets up an Empowered Task Force chaired by Union Minister of Water Resources along with other ministries, departments and State governments concerned in protection of Ganga.
- Lays down a new institutional structure for policy and implementation in fast track manner.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|