Union Cabinet approves establishment of IIM in Jammu
The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment and operationalisation of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) at Jammu.
It will become operational from the Academic Year 2016-17 at the transit or temporary campus at Old Government College of Engineering & Technology.
- For the initial four years from 2016 to 2020, the IIM will function in the temporary campus.
- The student strength intake in Post Graduate Diploma Programme (PGDP) in Management for year 2016-17 will be 54. It will be progressively increased to 120 in 4th year.
- Meanwhile, steps will also be taken up for setting up campus at Jammu and an out-campus in Kashmir region.
- The Detailed Project Report under preparation for the permanent campuses and the process for setting up of the campuses would start after it.
The Union Cabinet also approved formation of an IIM Jammu Society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860. IIM Jammu will be run and managed by the Society with a Board of Governors (BOGs) to be constituted by the Central Government. BOGs will administer the Institute and would be responsible for establishment and operationalisation of the Institute.
It was announced as part of Prime Minister’s development package for Jammu & Kashmir. The IMM coupled with opening of IIT at Jammu, NIT Srinagar and two new AIIMS institutions, one each in Jammu region and Kashmir region will help in meeting the requirement of high quality living and education in Jammu & Kashmir.
- IIM are the country’s premier institutions imparting best quality education in management. At present, there are total nineteen IIMs.
- Out of these, thirteen IIMs are located at Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Indore, Lucknow, Raipur, Kozhikode, Rohtak, Ranchi, Shillong, Kashipur, Trichy, Udaipur.
- New six IIMs were started in 2015 and they are located at Amritsar, Nagpur, Sirmaur, Sambalpur, Bodhgaya and Vishakhapatnam.
Category: Places in News Current Affairs