Taiwan: First Asian country to Legalise Same-Sex Marriage
On May 17, 2019 in a landmark decision, Taiwan became the first country in Asia to legalise same-sex marriage thus giving gay couples the ‘Right to Marry’.
- About: The Taiwanese parliament took the historic step by passing a law in favour of same-sex couples and allowing them to form ‘exclusive permanent unions’.
- The bill was passed on 17 May which is celebrated annually as the ‘International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia’.
- The law contains a clause that allows couples to apply for a ‘marriage registration’ with the government agencies.
- It also offer few adoption rights to same-sex couples like allowing spouses to adopt biological children of their partner. But does not allows same-sex couples to co-adopt.
- LGBTQ Rights: Taiwan has long been a hub for LGBT activism. Even its annual gay pride parade is the largest in the region. The Taiwanese LGBTQ community has now been campaigning for years to have similar and equal marriage rights as heterosexual couples. The move marks a huge victory for the community’s struggle and rights.
- Significance: With even president of Taiwan, Tsai Ing-wen campaigning for a platform of marriage equality, and the historic judgement that followed, this places Taiwan at the vanguard of Asia’s rapidly growing gay rights movement.
- Importance: It is a good start and major step towards true equality and ending discrimination based on sexual orientation.
Geographical Facts: Taiwan
- It is officially called as Republic of China (ROC) and is a self-governing island nation in East Asia.
- States Neighbouring Taiwan: The Philippines in south, People’s Republic of China (PRC) in West, Japan in northeast.
- It is in western Pacific Ocean and lies about 160 km off the coast of southeastern China (SCS).
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Topics: Exclusive Permanent Unions’ • International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia • LGBTQ • LGBTQ Rights • People's Republic of China • PRC • Republic of China • Right to Marry • Same-sex marriage • SCS • South China Sea • Taiwan • Tsai Ing-wen
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|