Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena gifts Samadhi Buddha Statue to PM Modi
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena gifted Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi a Samadhi Buddha statue (Buddha in meditation posture), during latter’s visit to Island nation.
- Prime Minister Modi arrived in Sri Lanka for a day-long visit, during which he met with President Sirisena and discussed bilateral issues of mutual interest.
- His visit is considered as a sign of India’s affirmation of solidarity with island nation in aftermath of the deadly Easter terror attacks in April 2019. PM Modi is first foreign leader to visit Sri Lanka after Easter attacks.
About Samadhi Buddha Statue
- The masterpiece replica of Samadhi Buddha statue presented to PM Modi has been hand carved using white teak and took almost two years to complete.
- This is considered to be one of best sculptures of Anuradhapura era (377 BC to 1017 AD) which is the first established kingdom in ancient Sri Lanka. The original statue was sculptured between 4th to 7th centuries AD.
- The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) called the Samadhi Buddha statue as ‘special gift from special friend’.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019
Category: Art & Culture Current Affairs