Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena gifts Samadhi Buddha Statue to PM Modi
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena gifted Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi a Samadhi Buddha statue (Buddha in meditation posture), during latter’s visit to Island nation.
- Prime Minister Modi arrived in Sri Lanka for a day-long visit, during which he met with President Sirisena and discussed bilateral issues of mutual interest.
- His visit is considered as a sign of India’s affirmation of solidarity with island nation in aftermath of the deadly Easter terror attacks in April 2019. PM Modi is first foreign leader to visit Sri Lanka after Easter attacks.
About Samadhi Buddha Statue
- The masterpiece replica of Samadhi Buddha statue presented to PM Modi has been hand carved using white teak and took almost two years to complete.
- This is considered to be one of best sculptures of Anuradhapura era (377 BC to 1017 AD) which is the first established kingdom in ancient Sri Lanka. The original statue was sculptured between 4th to 7th centuries AD.
- The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) called the Samadhi Buddha statue as ‘special gift from special friend’.
SLAF’s 70th anniversary: Suryakirans, Sarang & Tejas to Take Part in Celebrations
The Sri Lankan Air Force (SLAF) will celebrate its 70th anniversary in March 2021. In the celebratio...
‘Vaccine Maitri Initiative’ extended to Sri Lanka
India has extended its “Vaccine Maitri Initiative” to Sri-Lanka now. As per the agreement, I...
India-Sri Lanka to hold SLINEX military exercise
On October 19, 2020, India and Sri Lanka are to begin a three-day military exercise “SLINEX”. Th...
RBI to extend $400 million Currency Swap Facility to Sri Lanka
The Reserve Bank of India has signed all the necessary documents for extending a $400 million curren...
May 21: National Anti-Terrorism Day
Every year on May 21, India observes National Anti-Terrorism Day. The day is observed to mark the de...
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019
Category: Art & Culture Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|