Report: India-2nd largest in sending students to US
On November 18, 2019, the “2019 Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange” was released. According to the report, India remained the largest source of foreign students to the US for the 10th consecutive year. This year alone, India has sent around 202,000 students to the US. It is the second largest number of foreign students from a country to the US. The first largest source is China.
Key Findings of the Report
- In 2019, the total number of international students in the US are 1,095,299. The number has raised by 0.05% as compared to 2018.
- International students account to 5.5% of US higher education population. Of this, India and China alone accounts to more than 50%
- The other countries where majority of the students come from include South Korea (52,250), Saudi Arabia (37,080) and Canada (26,122).
- The number of students from countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria and Brazil have increased as compared to the previous years.
- For the US students, European countries are the popular destinations for their higher studies. Around 54.9% of US students choose Europe as their higher education destinies.
Category: International Current Affairs