Persons in News: A.A.Manavalan
Saraswati Samman to A A Manavalan for his comparative study on Ramayana
The esteemed Saraswati Samman was conferred on AA Manavalan for his work, Irama Kathaiyum Iramayakalyum.
“Irama Kathaiyum Iramayakalyum”
- A comparative study of epic Ramayana in 48 different languages.
- The characters, plot and individual insertions of the book deals with the alterations that occurred in the due course of migration.
- This book tries to explain the effect of Ramayana over the South East Asia, its language and culture.
- The comparative study of Ramayana is written in different languages over a certain period of time and some of the languages include Pali, Tibetan, Prakirt, Tamil, Japanese, Old Javanese, Assamese, Thai, Telugu, Malayalam, Bengali, Marathi, Kannada, Sanskrit, Odisi, Hindi, Malay, Persian, Maranao, Burmese, Laotian and Kashmiri.
- It is an annual award given for extraordinary works in any Indian language listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution of India.
- The honor was instituted in the year 1991 by KK Birla Foundation and is a renowned award in the field of literature.
- The award consists of a citation, a plaque and a cash prize of 7.5 lakhs.