October 15: World Students Day
Every year Dr APJ Abdul Kalam birth anniversary is celebrated as World Students Day. This year, the day is celebrated under the theme
Theme: Learning for people, prosperity and peace.
Mr Kalam is popularly known as the “Missile Man of India”. He was not only an aerospace scientist but also a teacher and thus the world celebrates his birth anniversary as World Students Day.
The United Nations declared his birth anniversary as World Students Day in 2010.
Kalam’s Contributions to Indian Space Programmes
- Dr Kalam was a part of the INCOSPAR Committee working under Vikram Sarabhai. INCOSPAR is Indian National Committee for Space Research. It was the committee’s decision to set up Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station.
- Between 1963 and 1964, he visited NASA’s space research centre.
- India developed its Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle under his efforts.
- Kalam directed Project Valiant and Project Devil.
- He played major role in developing Prithvi and Agni missiles.
- The Pokhran II nuclear tests were conducted when he was the Secretary of Defence Research and Development Organization between 1992 and 1999.
Other Scientific Contributions
In 1998, Kalam along with Dr Soma Raju developed a low-cost stent called the “Kalam Raju Stent”. In 2012, the duo designed a tablet called the “Kalam Raju Tablet”.
Dr Kalam served as the 11th President of India. He was called affectionately as the “People’s President”. However, he was criticised for his inactions towards the mercy petitions. Article 72 of the Constitution empowers the president to grant pardons, commute or suspend death sentences.
Abdul Kalam Island
The Wheeler Island, located off the coast of Odisha was named as Abdul Kalam Island in 2015. Earlier it was named after Sir Hugh Massy Wheeler. He was the commanding officer of the first Anglo-Afghan War. The Integrated Test Range missile testing facility is located on the Abdul Kalam Island.
2DG- DRDO’s Anti-Covid Drug
The DRDO recently announced that the 2-DG drug is to be launched next week. The 2-DG was developed b...
Iron Dome of Israel
Recently, Israel and Palestine engaged in air strikes. It all began with Israeli Police installing a...
NASA-Axiom: First Private Astronaut Mission to Space Station
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) recently signed an agreement with Axiom Spa...
India participates in the third Arctic Science Ministerial
The Ministry of Earth Science recently announced that India participated in the Arctic Science Minis...
National Technology Day: May 11
Every year, India celebrates National Technology Day on May 11. This year, the National Technology D...
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|