NavIC System (IRNSS)
The Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) is a sub-regional satellite navigation system which is owned and operated by the ISRO on behalf of the by the Indian government.?
As of 2019, the IRNSS is now complete with its entire constellation of satellites in orbit. It was renamed as the Navigation Indian Constellation (NAVIC) by India?s Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 2016.
What is the IRNSS?
- The IRNSS is an independent and autonomous regional navigation support system which aims to provide a service to an area till 1500 kilometers around India.
- Given India’s bad experience in the 1999 Kargil War when US had shut-off the GPS in the entire area, India had decided to have its own sub-regional navigation control unit.
- The system is owned and operated under complete Indian control, with the space segment, ground segment, and user receivers all being built in India.
- It will have a range of applications including personal navigation.
- The IRNSS (now NavIC) has 7 satellites in orbit which are complemented with the appropriate ground infrastructure.
Over 8,900 NavIC SPS receivers have been deployed for use by fishermen, Academic Institutes, R&D Organisations, vehicle trackers etc. These devices are used to better manage waypoint services.
India has a huge market potential for navigation platforms and the ISRO is working hard to miniaturize and develop cost-effective NavIC solutions along with various Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) based modules through industries and in-house projects.
NASA-Axiom: First Private Astronaut Mission to Space Station
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) recently signed an agreement with Axiom Spa...
India participates in the third Arctic Science Ministerial
The Ministry of Earth Science recently announced that India participated in the Arctic Science Minis...
NEO-01: China’s robot prototype to catch space debris
A Space Mining Startup of China recently launched NEO-01. It is a robotic platform launched into the...
Aditya-L1 Support Cell (AL1SC)- Key Facts
A Community Service Centre has been set up on board India’s first dedicated Solar Space Mission. T...
Gaganyaan: ISRO signs agreement with France
The Indian Space Research Organisation recently signed an agreement with the French Space Agency CNE...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|