National Crime Bureau Statistics released
The National Crime Bureau Statistics for the year 2017 was released on October 21, 2019. The report reveled that Tamil Nadu topped in grave crimes followed by Maharashtra.
The report was created by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) operating under the Home Ministry. The NCRB brings out 3 reports annually namely Crime in India, India and Prison statistics and Accidental Deaths and suicide in India.
Highlights of the report
- The rise in IPC crimes were the highest in Delhi, Assam and Kerala. On the other hand, the IPC crimes decreased greatly in Mizoram, Gujarat, Himachal, Tripura and Nagaland.
- Around 50 lakh crimes were registered in 2017. This is a rise of 3.6% from the previous report published in 2016.
- Murder cases registered across the country declined by 6%. Number of murders in 2016 were 30,450 and in 2017 the number has come down to 28,653
- The NCRB reported that the number of kidnapping and abduction cases increased by 9% since 2016
- Haryana topped in sedition cases (the offences committed against state). This increase was mainly due to the huge Jat reservation stir in Haryana in 2017. The sedition cases include damaging public property, providing aid to anti-social elements, etc.
- The maximum number of crime cases against women were from UP. Majority of the crimes against women under the IPC were registered as follows
- Out of crime cases against women 33.2% were under cruelty by husband or relatives
- Assault on women with intent to outrage her modesty contributed 33.2%
- Kidnapping and Abduction of women contributed 21%
- Rape contributed 10%
- Crime against SCs were reported as
- 30% of crime against SCs were simple hurt cases
- Cases under SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) act accounted to 13.4%
- Criminal intimidation accounted to 7.6% of crime cases against SCs.
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|