Medical Aid for Heart Patients in India
India has several million patients who suffer from many ailments of the heart.
The complicated living, changing climate and increasing stress in the people, means that these diseases will only keep on increasing. The disease causes a drag on the economy due to the loss of productive time and manpower.
The Indian Government has recognized this challenge and is now looking to step up healthcare options in the heart care industry.
What are the heart ailments?
- One of the most important heart ailments plaguing humankind is the Coronary artery disease.
- It occurs when the arteries are narrowing or have a blockage (caused by atherosclerosis).
- Atherosclerosis refers to the buildup of cholesterol and fatty deposits (also referred to as plaques) on the inner walls of the arteries.
- Coronary artery disease can be treated by the drug-eluting stents.
- A stent is a small metallic mesh tube which is placed in the blocked arteries to open them up. This helps restore blood flow.
- The modern metallic stents are very thin and are designed to release any deployed medication to treat the diseased artery. This helps in preventing the possibility of repeat-blockage.
What has happened?
While earlier India was forced to import stents, Indian companies involved in medical R&D have developed indigenous stents after a protracted development process.
The new design has already been granted 7 patents in Japan, Russia, Europe, Korea, China, and India.
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|