Life expectancy highest in Jammu and Kashmir: RGI Data
According to the data given by the Registrar General of India (RGI), Jammu and Kashmir has the highest life expectancy (i.e. post-60 life expectancy), except life expectancy at birth.
With this, Jammu and Kashmir has surpassed Kerala which used to be the leader in life expectancy in almost all categories of age till 2010.
What is data about?
- RGI’s Sample Registration System (SRS) had published state level life expectancy data prepared following surveys done between 2010 and 2014.
- The data was released for different ages: 0 (at birth), 1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70. It had defined life expectancy as estimate of average number of additional years that a person of a given age can expect to live.
- However this statistical system was confined only to 21 bigger states and UTs and it did not produce life expectancy numbers on 15 small states and UTs such as Arunachal Pradesh, Lakshadweep.
- The data shows that Kerala still has the highest overall life expectancy at birth at 74.9 years. It is 72 for men and 77.8 for women.
- Delhi is second, with an overall life expectancy at birth at 73.2 years. It is 72 for men and 74.7 for women.
- Jammu and Kashmir stands at third and it had the second-highest life expectancy at birth. It is behind only Kerala even during 2006-10.
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|