Law- Enforcement Gallantry Medals in India
The Indian Government hands out medals to its brave police officers and paramilitary personnel every year for acts of bravery and courage.
These medals include the President?s Police Medal for Gallantry (PPMG) and the Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG).
These medals are given only to the police officers, paramilitary forces, fire and correction facilities officers as the Armed Forces have their own separate medals for Gallantry.
What has happened?
- The Indian Government’s Home Ministry has announced the conferment of 946 on brave police officers, paramilitary personnel and fire fighting officials.
- Given India’s focus on the state of Jammu & Kashmir and its upheaval, most awards have gone to the police forces deployed in the region.
- While 114 medals have been given to the law enforcement officers deployed in the state of Jammu & Kashmir, officers deployed in the Left Wing extremism infested Central India has got 62 medals.
- The relatively stabilized North East has seen fewer actions this year and only 4 medals have been granted to the officers stationed in this territory.
- Among the Law enforcement bodies, the most medals have been bagged by the Central Reserve Police Force (72), followed by the Jammu & Kashmir police (62).
- A total of 23 medals have been granted to the Odisha Police, 9 to the Chattisgarh Police and 5 medals each have been granted to the Border Security Force and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force.
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|