International Dance Day 2019 celebrated on 29 April
Every year 29 April is observed as International Dance Day, as a global day to celebrate dance. It aims to encourage participation and education in dance through events and festivals held on the day.
International Dance Day
- Objective: Its aim is to increase awareness about importance of dance among general public and also to persuade governments across nation to include dance in education system.
- It was created by Dance Committee of International Theatre Institute (ITI), which was formally recognized by UNESCO as creators and organizers of event. ITI is the main partner for performing arts of UNESCO.
- ‘29 April’ was chosen as the day to commemorate birthday of Jean-Georges Noverre (born on 29 April 1727), a French dancer, the creator of modern ballet, and great reformer of dance.
- Annual celebration: Every year a famous dance personality circulates a message throughout the world about importance of the day; ITI creates selected host city where different dance performances, educational workshops and humanitarian projects are held; Speeches made by ambassadors, dignitaries and dance personalities on the importance of dance are also witnessed.
International Dance Day 2019
- It witnessed different events like open-door-courses, exhibitions, dance evenings, street shows, special performances and festivals worldwide.
- As per, the French Embassy in Nigeria, it hosted the International Dance Day (IDD) 2019 celebration for first time in Nigeria.
International Theatre Institute (ITI)
- It was founded in 1948 as world’s largest performing arts organization, by theatre and dance experts and UNESCO. It is headquartered in Paris, France.
- It meets UNESCO’s goals of mutual understanding and peace by protecting and promoting cultural expressions, regardless of age, gender, creed or ethnicity. Apart from International Dance Day it also organizes World Theatre Day (on 27 March) every year at the UNESCO, Paris.
United Nations Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)
- It is multi-country UN specialized organization, formed in 1945 with headquarters in Paris, France. It helps to preserve historical and cultural sites worldwide.
- It promotes literacy, sex education and improving gender equality across all countries. It also recognizes and preserves world cultural and heritage heritage sites like ancient ruins, villages and temples, and historic sites.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|