Inertial Guided Bomb: successfully Flight-Tested by DRDO
The Defence Research and Defence Organisation (DRDO), under Ministry of Defence has successfully flight tested a 500 kg class Inertial Guided Bomb from Su-30 MKI Aircraft from Pokhran test range in Rajasthan.
- Background: The test firing of guided bomb is conducted just two days after Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully test fired aerial version of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile from a Sukhoi jet at Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The weapon system is capable of carrying different warheads.
- Result: The guided bomb achieved desired range and hit the target with high precision thus meeting all the mission objectives.
Inertial Guided Weapons
- It is a type of Precision guided munition (smart bomb) which is intended to precisely hit a specific desired target so as to minimize collateral damage and increase fatality against intended targets.
- It is basically an air-dropped guided bomb which contains metal penetrator rods of various sizes. It was designed to attack targets where an explosive effect may be undesirable and my result in unwanted casualties, like fuel storage tanks or chemical weapon stockpiles in civilian areas.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Defence Current Affairs