India-Vietnam cooperation in postal sector
On December 17, 2021, India and Vietnam signed a letter of intent for enhanced cooperation in the postal sector. It was singed in line with the comprehensive strategic & economic ties between both the countries.
Objectives of Letter of intent
The letter of intent highlights the joint objectives of India and Vietnam:
- To facilitate cooperation in the field of posts & telecom
- To promote sharing of information & experience
- To cooperate in implementing projects in HR development and
- To promote enhanced cooperation of postal designated operators & service providers.
Relations between India-Vietnam have been exceptionally friendly and cordial. Foundations for the relations were laid by Prime Minister Nehru and President Ho Chi Minh some 50 years ago. However, the cultural and economic links between both the countries date back to 2nd century. Bilateral ties have developed extensively since 1992, in fields like economic ties, agriculture and manufacturing. Relation is not only limited to economic reasons, but there has been extensive fostering of bilateral military cooperation which includes:
- Sale of military equipment
- Sharing of intelligence
- Joint naval exercises and
- Training in counterinsurgency & Jungle warfare.
Strategic cooperation between Both the countries
- Mekong-Ganga Cooperation: Both the countries are members of Mekong–Ganga Cooperation. It was created with the aim of developing and enhancing close ties between India and Southeast Asian nations.
- Vietnam’s support to India’s permanent seat at UNSC– Vietnam has always supported India’s bid for permanent seat at United Nations Security Council (UNSC). It also supported India’s membership to Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).
- In 2003, both the countries had collaborated on creating an “Arc of Advantage and Prosperity” in Southeast Asia.
- Countries have also built strategic partnerships, including in extensive cooperation on developing nuclear power, transnational crime & drug trafficking, enhancing regional security and fighting terrorism.
- Vietnam is one of the pillars of India’s “Look East” policy.
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|