India to chair 3 UNSC Committees
The Ambassador of India to the United Nations recently announced that India has been asked to chair three important committees of the Security Council.
- What are the three UNSC committees to be chaired by India?
- What is the Counter-Terrorism Committee?
- Who are the member states of Counter-Terrorism Committee?
- What is Libya Sanctions Committee?
- What are UN Sanctions on Libya?
- Why did UN impose sanctions on Libya?
- What is Taliban Sanctions Committee?
- When can the United Nations Security Council impose sanctions?
What are the three UNSC committees to be chaired by India?
Counter-Terrorism Committee, Libya Sanctions Committee and Taliban Sanctions Committee.
What is the Counter-Terrorism Committee?
- The Counter-Terrorism committee of the United Nations Security Council was established in the wake of 09/11 terrorist attack in the United States.
- Earlier India had chaired the Counter-Terrorism Committee in 2011-12.
- It monitors and implements counter terrorist activities.
Who are the member states of Counter-Terrorism Committee?
There are fifteen member states of Counter Terrorism committee. They are Belgium, Dominic Republic, China, Germany, France, Niger, Indonesia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Russia, South Africa, UK, Vietnam and US.
What is Libya Sanctions Committee?
- The Libya Sanctions Committee of the United Nations Security Council implements the sanctions regime in Libya.
- It also monitors two-way arms embargo on Libya, travel ban, asset freeze.
- It measured the illicit export of petroleum in the country.
- The member states of the committee are required to prevent sale of arms supply and related material to Libya.
What are UN Sanctions on Libya?
The United Nations imposed an Arms Embargo on Libya since February 2011. It is related to the supply of arms and military equipment to and from Libya.
Why did UN impose sanctions on Libya?
The UN imposed sanctions in Libya in response to the violence and use of armed forces against civilians in Libya and systematic violations of human rights by the former Qadhafi Regime.
What is Taliban Sanctions Committee?
- The Taliban Sanctions Committee works to promote stability, peace and security of Afghanistan.
- It is also called the 1988 Sanctions Committee.
When can the United Nations Security Council impose sanctions?
The Unite Nations Security Council can impose sanctions in response to threat to international peace and security.
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|