India-Mozambique ink three agreements
India and Mozambique have signed three Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) in areas of drug trafficking, pulse trading and sports.
These MoUs were signed between two countries at Maputo, Mozambique in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Filipe Nyusi, President of Mozambique.
Signed Agreements are
- MoU on long term agreement for purchase of pulses.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of youth affairs and sports.
- MoU on reduction of drug trafficking and psychotropic substances and related materials.
- The MoU on long term agreement for purchase of pulses will promote the production of Tur (Pigeon Peas) and other pulses in Mozambique to encourage trading of pulses.
- It will also play an important role in augmenting domestic availability of pulses in India and thereby stabilising its prices.
- The contract will be valid for five financial years i.e. till 2020-21 and pulses under it will be imported by India either through the Government-to-Government (G2G) or private channels nominated by two countries.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Mozambique as part of his first leg of the five day official four African nations tour viz. Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania and Kenya. PM Narendra Modi’s African countries tour agenda is on energy, food security, trade, maritime cooperation and diaspora interactions.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2016