India launches Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo System (SMART)
On December 13, 2021 India successfully launched Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo System (SMART) from Abdul Kalam Island, off the Odisha coast.
- During the mission, full range capability of the missile was successfully demonstrated.
- SMART system has been designed for enhancing anti-submarine warfare capability far beyond the conventional range of torpedo.
- This was a textbook launch, in which entire trajectory of the test was monitored by the electro optic telemetry system and several range radars, including down range instrumentation & down range ships.
- SMART carried a torpedo, release mechanisms and parachute delivery system.
- It was launched from a ground mobile launcher and can cover a range of distances.
- The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has developed the weapon for Indian Navy.
About Supersonic Missile Assisted Torpedo (SMART)
SMART is a next-generation, missile based standoff torpedo delivery system. It has been designed to enhance the anti-submarine warfare capability. Missile will work beyond the conventional range of the torpedo. It is a canister-based missile system comprising of advanced two-staged solid propulsion, precision inertial navigation and electromechanical actuators.
Recent Tests by DRDO
DRDO successfully flight-tested indigenously developed helicopter-launched stand-off anti-tank (SANT) missile on December 11, 2021, in Pokhran firing ranges of Rajasthan. Missile can neutralise targets in a range up to 10 kms. Before this launch, DRDO also conducted a series of successful tests on Extended Range Pinaka rocket system (Pinaka-ER).
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
DRDO is a premier agency, working under Department of Defence Research and Development of Ministry of Defence. It is charged with military’s research and development. The agency is headquartered in Delhi. It was established in 1958.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|