India and Japan ink 14 agreements in various fields
India and Japan have inked fourteen agreements in various fields to enhance bilateral co-operation between both countries.
These agreements were signed during ninth annual Indo-Japan summit talks held in New Delhi. The summit was jointly held by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe.
Some important agreements signed are
- Agreement in transfer of Defence Equipment and Technology Cooperation: Provides a framework to enhance defence and security cooperation.
- Agreement on security measures for the protection of classified military information: Ensures the reciprocal protection of classified military information transmitted to each other.
- Agreement on Amendment Protocol of Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement: Amends the Convention between both countries for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to Taxes on Income, signed in 1989.
- MoC on Technological Cooperation in Rail Sector: Establishes areas for comprehensive technological cooperation including sharing of information and best practices.
- MoU on technological cooperation on Rail safety: proposes to cooperate in the areas of safety in train operation and advanced techniques of maintenance along with use of environment friendly technologies, etc.
- MoC on Medical Products Regulation Dialogue and Cooperation Framework: Seeks to facilitate a constructive dialogue in areas pertinent to raw materials for pharmaceutical use, biological products, medical devices, quasi-drugs, cosmetic products.
- MoC in the field of forests: Enhance cooperation in sustainable forest management, forest conservation and forest disaster prevention, conservation of biodiversity and effective utilization of forest resources etc.
Apart from this, both countries also issued a joint statement on ‘India and Japan Vision 2025: Special Strategic and Global Partnership Working Together for Peace and Prosperity of the Indo-Pacific Region and the World’. India also extended visa an arrival (VoA) facility for Japanese nationals, including businessmen from 1st March 2016.