India to be guest country at Guadalajara International Book Fair
India has been designated as Guest of Honour at 33rd Guadalajara International Book Fair (also called Feria Internacional del Libro de Guadalajara), in Mexico. The book fair, will be organised from 30 November 2019 to 8 December 2019.
Key Highlights of Event
- Pavilion: The book fair will display a dedicated India pavilion that will display more than 35 Indian authors and artists, along with 15 publishing houses.
- India will showcase wide array of its rich and composite literary and cultural heritage by undertaking literary and academic activities at the event. The activities will comprise of conferences, publisher’s round table, and discussions and presentations on science and other genres.
- Ancient and rare manuscripts such as that of ‘Ramayana’ and ‘Mahabharata’ will be put on exhibition at the event, along with paintings, handicrafts and photo books.
- Another exhibition will be running parallel to book fair in pavilion. It will feature art by 40 renowned Indian women artists including Seema Kohli, Paula Sengupta and Arpana Caur.
- Other Events include:
- Festival of India: It will showcase folk, classical and contemporary cultural programmes of India.
- Film Festival: India’s participation will also include a film festival showing movies like Dangal, Chennai Express and Omkara.
About Guadalajara International Book Fair
- It was created in 1986 by University of Guadalajara, Mexico. The year 2019 will see the 33rd edition of Book Fair.
- It is the most important publishing gathering in Ibero-America.
- The 9 day festival will be the largest book fair in the Spanish speaking world.
- The Book Fair is aimed at professionals and general public alike, this particular characteristic sets it apart from other book fairs around the world.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019