India assumes presidency of 68th World Health Assembly
India assumed the presidency of the 68th World Health Assembly (WHA) held in Geneva after a gap of 19 years.
The 68th WHA session began on 18 May 2015 and it will conclude on 27 May 2015. The WHA session is presided by Union Health Minister Jagat Prakash Nadda who is also leading the high-level Indian delegation to the Assembly.
This edition of assembly is expected to deliberate on key issues of global interest that include
- Anti-microbial resistance.
- Air pollution and health
- Global health emergency, preparedness and surveillance.
- Global strategy and plan of action on public health.
- Innovation and intellectual property.
- Research and development in neglected tropical diseases.
About World Health Assembly (WHA)
- WHA is the world’s highest health policy setting body and the top decision-making body of the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- It is governed by WHO’s 194 member state and generally composed of health ministers from member states.
- The first WHA assembly was held in 1948.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2015