Important Facts: Akash Surface to Air Missile
Published: March 3, 2012
- Ingeniously made Akash surface-to-air missile system
- Developed by DRDO as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP)
- An all-weather, medium-range
- Surface-to-Air Missile (SAM) system
- Akash is mooted as the Indian Patriot (The ‘Patriot’ is a US missile system which was used successfully used in neutralising the Iraqi Skud missiles during the Gulf War in the 1990s).
The first batch of the ingeniously made Akash missile system to be inducted into the Indian Air Force. Also Advanced Light Weight Torpedo (TAL) to be inducted into the Indian Navy in Hyderabad. This is a substantial accomplishment for India’s aboriginal weapon development series.
Topics: Akash • Bharat Dynamics Limited • Defence Research and Development Organisation • Guided missiles • Guided missiles of India • Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme • Missile • Missiles • Weapons