Gujarat Launches Second Edition of Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan
The government of Gujarat has launched the second edition of the water conservation scheme Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan.
Sujalam Sufalam Jal Sanchay Abhiyan
- The scheme aims to deepen water bodies in the state before monsoon to increase storage of rainwater to be used during times of scarcity.
- The scheme involves cleaning and desilting of riverfronts.
- Sprucing up of Irrigation canals.
- The state government has increased its financial contribution for the scheme to 60 per cent, which meant private groups getting involved would have to give only the remaining 40 per cent.
During the first edition against its anticipated target of 16,616 works of deepening of ponds and lakes across the state, 18,220 works were accomplished. The first edition witnessed an increase in the water storage capacity of more than 11,000 lakh cubic feet rainwater through different sources like ponds, reservoirs, check dams, bori bandh and other.
The desilting had also generated a huge amount of loose/soil or clay which can be used by farmers to increase agricultural productivity.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|