Gotthard Base Tunnel, world's longest rail tunnel starts regular service
The famed Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT) has started regular commercial rail service in Switzerland. The first regular train to use GBT ferried passenger from Zurich to Lugano.
The twin-bore GBT is world’s longest and deepest railway tunnel with length of 57-kilometer. It had overtaken Japan’s Seikan tunnel (53.9 kilometers) as the longest rail tunnel in world after it was opened in June 2016 for its maiden ride.
- GBT is the first flat low-level route through the Alps Mountain. It is situated 2.3 km deep under these mountains and57-kilometer long.
- It connects northern and southern Europe and also shortens travel time for many rail routes
- It was built in 17 years’ time frame starting in 1992 as a part of AlpTransit project, also known as New Railway Link through the Alps (NRLA).
- It consists of two single-track tunnels connecting Erstfeld (Uri) with Bodio (Ticino) and passing below Sedrun (Graubünden).
- The main purpose of the GBT is to increase total transport capacity across the Alps, especially for freight.
Switzerland Bans Full Face Coverings in Public Places
Switzerland has voted on March 7, 2021 in favour of the proposal to ban the full facial coverings su...
Wipro joins WEF initiative of Racial Justice in Business
Wipro Limited has announced that it has joined an initiative by the World Economic Forum (WEF) calle...
India receives second set of Swiss Bank Account Details
On October 9, 2020, India received second set of Swiss bank details under the “Automatic Exchange ...
23rd June: International Olympic Day
On 23rd June 1894, the International Olympic Committee was founded in Paris. The day 23rd June was c...
What is COVID Toe?
The British Journal of Dermatology Researchers have so far observed 5 clinical patterns of the COVID...
Category: Places in News Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|