Fuel Upgradation for Indian Navy
On January 13, 2020, the Ministry of Defence announces new fuel upgradation for Indian Navy with revised technical specifications. The High Flash High Speed Diesel (HFHSD) was launched. The aim of the new fuel introduction is to reduce carbon footprint.
Indian Navy, one of the largest navies in the world in collaboration with Indian Oil Corporation carried out several trials before concluding on HFHSD. The Joint Collaboration studied the international regulations of MARPOL, NATO, ISO before concluding on the revised technical specification. Around 22 test parameters were considered. This included certain critical parameters such as flash point, cetane number, sediment content, sulphur content, cold filter plugging point and oxidation stability.
The upgrading of fuel is essential in order to keep pace with new technologies and emission standards. This will also help other IOC customers and merchant mariners in the following years. It will also benefit foreign Navy ships participating in exercises.
Bottom line, the fuel upgradation will help in reducing carbon footprint, equipment reliability, increased performance and will help Navy achieve its Mission based deployment.
Critical Parameters of HFHSD
- Flash Point-Flash Point of the lowest temperature at which HFHSD can form an ignitable mixture with air. Lower the flash point, easier is the ignition. The Flash Point of HFHSD is 66.
- Cetane Number-It is the number with which the performance of the fuel is measured. Higher the number, better is the fuel performance. The Cetane number of HFHSD is 45.
- Cold Filter Plugging Point-the temperature at which the fuel passes through the standardised filtration device. The Cold filter Plugging Point is yet to be updated in the report.
- Cold Filter Plugging Point-The lowest temperature at which the fuel passes through standardised filtration device.
- Sulphur Content-the percentage of Sulphur (by mass) present in HFHSD. The Sulphur Content of HFHSD is 0.2%
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|