Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme approved
On May 15, 2020, Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme was approved by the Defence Minister Raj Nath Singh. The scheme is to be implemented at an estimated amount of Rs 400 crores.
The Defence Research Development Organization and the 41 ordinance factories in the country have created testing facilities for ammunition, firearms, radar and electronic arms at the expense of GoI.
This will help in promoting indigenous defence capacities of the country especially amongst MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) and startups.
About the Testing Facilities
The testing Facilities will be used to test UAVs (Unmanned Vehicles), radars, drones, rubber testing, telecom equipment testing, shock testing, noise testing, ship motion testing, blast testing, environment test facilities testing, etc.
What is the plan?
Under the scheme, over six to eight test facilities are to be brought in the country. 75% of the cost to set up these facilities will be born by the Central Government. The rest of 25% is to come through private entities and the state government.
Defence Industrial Corridors
There are two main industrial corridors in India. They are in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. The testing centres will also help these industries to test their products.
The scheme will also help to aid India’s Defence Export targets. During the Defexpo 2020, India had set a target of boosting defence exports to 5 billion USD in next five years.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2020
Category: Defence Current Affairs