Current Affairs : December 19, 2011
M P Mishra to be mela officer of Kumbh in UP
- The Uttar Pradesh government appointed Mani Prasad Mishra as the new Mela Officer of the world famous religious fair of Kumbh to be organised in Allahabad at the banks of Sangam, the confluence of rivers Ganga, Yamuna and mythyical Saraswati.
Kingfisher Airlines to be part of oneworld from 10 February, 2012
- Kingfisher Airlines will become part of Oneworld with effect from February 10, 2012.
- Kingfisher became the first Indian Airline to join a global alliance.
50 years of liberation of Goa
- The 1961 Liberation of Goa, was an action by India’s armed forces that ended Portuguese rule in its Indian enclaves on 19 Dec 1961.
- The armed action, codenamed “Operation Vijay” by the Indian government, involved air, sea and land strikes for over 36 hours, and was a decisive victory for India, ending 451 years of Portuguese colonial rule in Goa.
NSG gets a new hub near Chennai
- National Security Guard (NSG) commandos will now be trained at an exclusive, 69-acre facility sandwiched between forests and hillocks at Nerkundram off the Vandalur-Kelambakkam Road, about 30 km from Chennai.
- This regional hub is one of the four that have been set up in different parts of the country – Mumbai, Kolkata and Hyderabad – following the terrorist attack in Mumbai in November 2008.
India strikes deal with Russia on GLONASS
- An agreement for receiving precision signals from GLONASS for Indian Defence was signed with Russia. These signals will allow missiles, including those fired from nuclear submarine Chakra, to strike within half a metre of distant targets. The pact on the civilian side is still to be arrived at. But India’s quest for strategic autonomy in advanced technology would be served with the pact on precision signals from Glonass.
Topics: Annexation of Goa • Chennai International Airport • Dabolim Airport • India • Kelambakkam • Kingfisher Airlines • Mela • Mumbai • National Security Guard • Oneworld • States and union territories of India • Vandalur