Climate Adaptation Summit 2021
The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, in his addressed to the Climate Adaptation Summit 2021 said that by the year 2030, India will target 450 gigawatt of renewable energy capacity. He also said that India is promoting the LED lights and is also saving 38 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions per year. He also highlighted that, by 2030 India will restore 26 million hectares of degraded land.
About Climate Adaptation Summit 2021
- The climate adaptation summit was hosted by the Netherlands government on January 25, 2021. The summit was held online and it is being called “CAS Online”.
- The summit was built on the advances of the UN Climate Action Summit.
- The summit also showcased the pioneering solutions of the climate emergency and sustaining momentum through UNFCCC’s COP26.
- CAS will help in delivering the action and inspire the change to help the societies build back better.
- The organizers of the summit also called for major new funding for agricultural research.
- They also expanded the access to farmer advisory services, risk management and financial services.
Aim of CAS
- The summit was organized with the aim of realizing the transitions which is required for a climate-resilient world.
- The summit focuses on securing the new investments in order to ensure that millions of smallholder farmers could adapt to the impact of climate on food production.
India has committed to provide the clean cooking fuel to 80 million rural households during the summit. It also committed to connect the 64 million households with the piped water supply.
The 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference is also known as COP26. It is the 26th United Nations Climate Change conference. It will be held in Glasgow, Scotland from November 1 to 12, 2021. The United Kingdom will chair the summit. The conference will incorporate the 26th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), third meeting of the parties to the Paris Agreement (CMA3) and the 16th meeting of the parties to the Kyoto Protocol (CMP16).